Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Star Spangled Banner

On Sunday, the Smith family reunion invaded a small little country town's sacrament meeting. We took up at least 4 full rows of their smaller chapel and they had to open the overflow 10 minutes before the meeting even started. It was the 4th of July and fast Sunday. But it wasn't the sweet testimonies born by the children or my distant relatives that really touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes, that still linger.

Our opening hymn was "The Star Spangled Banner". We stood and sang loud and proud together. I love patriotic songs, the power behind them always moves me. But as we moved past the well known 1st verse, I had to refer to my hymnal, and I found myself really understanding the words for the first time.

O! Thus be it ever, when freeman shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

This is the third verse of our national anthem. But in my time on this Earth, we have removed prayer from the classrooms, taken God from the courtrooms, and mocked and debased religion. Our amazing forefathers knew they weren't creating this great nation alone. Why is it that people today think we don't need our devine creator's help and guidance?

I have great pride in being an American. And I know that our country was predestined for big things. Things that we could not do alone. It saddens me to see how far we are coming from our roots and how all the things that I love and am thankful for are being trampled by people who worship power and control.

2 comments:

Liz said...

This made me cry! I am determined to teach my boys all the verses of our national anthem. It is a great reminder of Him to whom we owe our liberties. Thanks for sharing this, Kim!

LaShelle said...

THis was beautiful. Did you see Roman singing verse one? HE was so proud