Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mother Knows BEST!


It was the first weekend of April, General Conference Saturday. Ben's family was in town visiting Aunt Barb who was very ill and in the hospital. Saturday was getting a slow start. Julie and Clarissa were getting ready to go to the hospital, and Ben and Isaac had gone to get much needed hair cuts.

Roman has hyped up from playing all morning with cousin Angel and was needing to get out of the house. He started spinning around on his stocking feet, as he often does. As I was helping Julie get a bowl of cereal, Roman slipped and fell down, hitting his head on a killer corner of our dinning room bench. He didn't get up from the floor right away, so I rushed over to see how he was, and as he picked up his head, I could see the blood gushing out between his fingers.

I immediately handed everything over to our family nurse, aka Grandma Julie!!! She assessed the situation while I ran next door to take Aaron over to the Sharp's. Julie sat in the back with Roman while I drove straight to Pomerado ER. The ER was so good to us, fortunately there was no wait. But they took him straight back while I checked in and then joined him within 5 minutes.

The docs and nurses were great as well. Roman was completely petrified, and felt really bad about not listening to me. I tried not to harp on it too much, but I can't even count the times that I have told him not to spin around in his socks like that!!!

The nurse applied a topical anesthetic, and Roman stayed completely still while the doc put in SEVEN stitches!!! I freaked out a little when I saw him all stitched up, the stitches went all the way across the bridge of his nose and reminded me too much of Frakenstein!

The worst part was probably him having to put up with my paranoia for the next 2 weeks. "Don't run", "Don't get your face near anyone's feet", "Careful!", on and on. But he survived that as well, the wounds have healed and he now has a rockin' scar and full fledged membership in the "Boys Club".

That same weekend, we watched "Tangled" for the first time. My new favorite movie, Disney or not I might even say. I LOVE the "Mother Knows Best" song and sing it to my boys all the time. It's too bad that the "mom" who sings it is a crazy old witch who gives the rest of us real know-it-all good moms a bad name!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

"It's too bad that the 'mom' who sings it is a crazy old witch who gives the rest of us real know-it-all good moms a bad name!!"

Ha ha ha haaaaa! So true. Big bummer.

So sad for Roman! That wound looks like a doozy, but it sounds like he weathered it like a champ.