Monday, July 13, 2009

A Trip to the ZOO



Aaron's 1st trip to the Zoo was poorly timed... We decided to go on Friday, July3rd.... along with about a million other people!

The night before, Ben was supposed to go to the Boy Scout store to get his Scout uniform for an upcoming camp out. He decided he just wanted to come home and go on Friday. The store is down by the zoo, so we thought we could make a day of it. Well, turns out that the BS store was closed on the 3rd! But I had already told the boys that we were going to the zoo, so we decided to keep that part of the plan.

We got there about 1030 (an hour and a half later than I would have liked...), and had to park in the back of the parking lot, not a good sign!

We headed down Monkey Trails, where it actually wasn't too crowded. The panda's of course had a line, so we headed up Cat Canyon. I don't think I have ever seen these cats so active. We saw a jaguar and a cougar and a lynx, what else? The cougars were cool to see up close, they paced along the front of the enclosure. It was scary to think that those thing roam some of the hills and parks in North County.... they are big and powerful, and gorgeous.

We ended up on the far end of the park, and the boys begged Ben to take them on the Sky Fari. I hate the skyfari, so I was more than happy to walk the sleeping baby in the giant stroller back across the park to meet them at the other end.

The only problem was that the shortest way to get to the other side was also the narrowest way! I headed up through Tiger River, against the flow of hoards of people, with a huge double wide stroller. I was hot and tired, and I don't do crowds well :P I was glad when I got to the other side. Ben and the boys beat me, of course, so they did the Children's Zoo while I fed the baby.

It was actually a good trip, but I am so spoiled, being able to go when the place is empty... you won't catch me there again for the rest of the summer!

5 comments:

Amber and The Boys said...

I HATE the Skyfari too-well, I haven't ever been on it but I am scared to death of heights so I am not planning a trip on it any time soon! I think I will stay away from that place this summer too unless it is evening.

Clayton & Brooke Fowers said...

Can you edit the picture you posted? I don't like that the baby's shirt says 'hell' right in the middle of it.

Erin said...

Wait when did you get passes?

Liz said...

I love the Skyfari! :0) Although, I will admit that the entire ride across is usually spent wondering what natural disaster or mechanical malfunction will send us plummeting to our deaths. So I guess it would be more accurate to say that the boys love the Skyfari and I like it against my better judgment. :P

We never go to the zoo in the summer. Never. 1) It's always too hot and humid there. And 2) There are always waaaaaay too many people to deal with. We get our year memberships for the other nine months of the year. (And we don't even have passes this year.)

DK Hansen said...

Roman said that I can come with you next time - I can't wait! I need to do the Zoo & the WAP!