Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Drive Home....

We drove home on Saturday... NO traffic of course, who leaves Vegas on a Saturday?!?

As we neared Victorville, I could see crazy smoke all along the mountains, and down to the ground. The sun was still out, so we could see the white clouds where we knew, from experience!, that meant that they were actively fighting it.

We stopped for dinner at IHOP and heard people talking about mountain highways being closed. No talk of the 15 fortunately.

So when we sat down to eat, there was an
obnoxious fly buzzing around. When our food came, it became even more interested. At one point, it landed on Ben's eggs. I shewed it away. Ben looks at me and says "Thanks". I'm like "You're welcome"... thinking that was so nice of me to have his back, you know. Then he looks at me, looks at his plate, and is like "No, thanks"... and he is pushing around the fly that is stuck in his runny yolk!! Gross!! So I give him my napkin and he wipes it out and continues eating. Then, I'm like "You should have left it in there and gotten our food for free!" And he's like... "Hey waiter, I've got a fly in my food, and my wife put it there." I guess that really wouldn't have worked so well :P

So we get back on the road after dark, and now we can see real flames. I think it was the flames lighting up the smoke at first. Then we inch towards the Cajon Pass, just as I am on the phone with my grandma who says that the news said the Cajon Pass had been closed for a while. Great, we are right about to go up the mountain, I don't think there were any turn offs or anything... if the pass was closed, we would probably have just had to sit in our car and wait it out!

Fortunately, the Pass was open, and we got to drive through. Very slowly, as others were taking pictures and just gawking at the fires. It was actually quite pretty! I still can't believe they let us drive through, it felt like we were right in the middle of it.

I told Ben, "I wish I was a good photographer"... because obviously these pics don't do the fires "justice". And he told me "Real photographers don't take pics from moving cars". True.

No comments: