I know that the alcohol cooks off, so that has never really been the issue... but what do you do with the left over wine that you don't use? How do you store it? How long does it last? And how do you know which one to buy?
I over came those problems, and found myself in the wine aisle, trying to maneuver the giant red car shopping cart between the two shelves of floor to chest glass bottles! I found the cheapest bottle of white wine I could and just hoped that it was "dry"... whatever that means. The cashier humored me and asked how old I was. "Too old" was my reply as I raked my brain for the actual number :P
I started my peeling the 100 heads of garlic for my experimental recipe (x 3for our dinner co-op). Soon it was time for the wine. I peeled the plastic wrapper off the neck... just to find that I was face to face with a real life wine cork!! Hadn't even thought of that!! So kids racing around and screaming at each other, I'm frantically searching my drawers for something that might resemble a cork screw.
In a moment of shear genius... I found a three inch long screw. Using a screwdriver and brute force, I got it about halfway into the cork, but now had nothing to pull with. So I got some pliers and tried to pry the nail out, using the pliers as an arm and the neck of the bottle as a leverage point. It was working... until the cork broke clean off, with half still in the bottle. I tried to stiffle a few choice words, and just got to screwing the screw into the remaining half of the cork. I got the screw in... but it was now inside the bottle, so then I had to get the needle nose pliers. Half an hour later, I had an open bottle of wine, and kind of felt like I deserved a swig. JUST KIDDING! Not even appealing anyway :P
Finally, I succeeded in getting the cork, in 2 pieces, out with the use of a 3 inch screw, a screwdriver, regular pliers, and needle nose pliers. It was pretty ridiculous!!
I over came those problems, and found myself in the wine aisle, trying to maneuver the giant red car shopping cart between the two shelves of floor to chest glass bottles! I found the cheapest bottle of white wine I could and just hoped that it was "dry"... whatever that means. The cashier humored me and asked how old I was. "Too old" was my reply as I raked my brain for the actual number :P
I started my peeling the 100 heads of garlic for my experimental recipe (x 3for our dinner co-op). Soon it was time for the wine. I peeled the plastic wrapper off the neck... just to find that I was face to face with a real life wine cork!! Hadn't even thought of that!! So kids racing around and screaming at each other, I'm frantically searching my drawers for something that might resemble a cork screw.
In a moment of shear genius... I found a three inch long screw. Using a screwdriver and brute force, I got it about halfway into the cork, but now had nothing to pull with. So I got some pliers and tried to pry the nail out, using the pliers as an arm and the neck of the bottle as a leverage point. It was working... until the cork broke clean off, with half still in the bottle. I tried to stiffle a few choice words, and just got to screwing the screw into the remaining half of the cork. I got the screw in... but it was now inside the bottle, so then I had to get the needle nose pliers. Half an hour later, I had an open bottle of wine, and kind of felt like I deserved a swig. JUST KIDDING! Not even appealing anyway :P
Finally, I succeeded in getting the cork, in 2 pieces, out with the use of a 3 inch screw, a screwdriver, regular pliers, and needle nose pliers. It was pretty ridiculous!!
.jpg)
4 comments:
Couldn't stop laughing b/c I have so been there! Seriously - what are you supposed to do with an entire bottle of wine when you only need a half-cup? And the screw idea - genius!!! I once had to pick out a cork with a knife; I don't recommend it. I'll never understand why the flavor of wine in cooking is so good, but it tastes terrible (I admit, I tried a sip once. Not a good thing) =)
Funny, but that's why I find ways to use vinegar or anything else for the flavors you are looking for. I wouldn't know how to buy alcoholic beverages
Shoulda called me.... Drinkers are good for something. :-)
I love how our family doesn't actually need the proper equipment for anything. It may take us a little longer, but we can always manage to figure out some way to fanagle it.
Post a Comment