Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Waterfalls in PQ?!?





We have just booked some campsites outside Yellowstone for this summer, so in preparation for the funtimes we have ahead, we thought we should start hiking. It works out so nicely that Ben is camping and hiking all over San Diego County (and beyond!) with the 12 year old scouts, so he knew of waterfalls in PQ!




We each grabbed a drink and hat and I packed a few (horrible, not trail friendly) snacks, and we were off... The trail was an old maintenance road, with grass and shrubs on either side. Not too scenic, but it was pretty flat and easy for the boys (and me!).







We tried to look for wildlife, and actually ended up finding more than 11 caterpillars! (11 alive, a handful more dead) 10 fuzzy orange and black ones, and 1 green one. It was funny, because they were scurrying right down the middle of the dirt trail, in plain view. We moved the first 2 into the grass on the sides, but then thought there must have been a reason that they were all in the dirt.

Roman and Isaac were both very good hikers, I was pleasantly surprised. They liked having their own backpacks and walked the whole way without any complaints! We think it was probably just over a mile each way.

The waterfalls were kind of hard to see from the side that we hiked in from. Ben had to get out on a ledge, and then I would slide one boy at a time down to him. I missed a really cute pic of them all out over the waterfalls... My camera acted up, possibly due to a slight bounce it took on one rock.


On the way back to the car, Ben found us a nice spot in the shade for a break. I am so glad that the boys enjoyed it, and I look forward to many more hikes with my boys!

1 comment:

Lashelle said...

This is so much better than FB, Thanks for the peeks into your wonderful life!