Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Easter!

So, Easter Sunday..... Ben and I spoke in Sacrament, Isaac had a talk in primary, Ben taught the deacons, AND we had everyone over for dinner at our house! Phew, it was pretty jam packed! But it was a great day. My parents came to church to hear our talks, and see Isaac's. We had practiced Isaac's talk with him a few times, and he would say parts of it, usually while donkey kicking around the room. I asked Ben if we could put a wireless mic on him and let him say his talk while running around the primary room. After a few torturous run throughs, I was pretty sure I would end up giving his talk for him. He actually did really well. He went second, and the older kid who went before him did a really good job, so Isaac knew what he had to do.

The boys had an Easter egg hunt in our backyard after church. Have I mentioned I LOVE having a back yard?!? Last year the boys wandered around my parents yard, looking at eggs, shaking each one, taking their good old time!! So Dana and I grabbed plastic bags and went out there and showed them how an egg hunt was supposed to be!! (Mad dash grabbing!!!) This year Roman was totally into it. He was really fast and just snatching them right up. Isaac needed a little help getting going, but he ended up with a pretty good haul as well :) The baby took a much needed nap during the festivities and woke up in time for a few pics!

Dinner was nice. I love getting together with family. My grandma brought the ham and jello salad, mom brought the "funeral" potatoes and ice cream, Dana brought the rolls, and I just had to do the salad. It was nice to divy up the food so that no one felt over whelmed and everyone could enjoy the day. Keith, Amy and Kristin were also able to make it for dinner. Good food, great company, and lots of left overs!! Who could ask for more?

I struggled a little with Easter this year.... not a lot, but just had to reevaluate what it is all about. I was so grateful for the opportunity to reflect on the Savior and all he has done for us, as I prepared my talk. I felt bad for buying the boys new Easter outfits and Easter baskets, and not focusing on the real blessings that we celebrate on Easter. With Isaac also giving a talk on the Savior, we had the opportunity to talk to both boys about the Atonement and Resurrection. I know they are young, but they know that Jesus loves them and that we can return to live with our Father in Heaven after we die. I think it is okay to keep the new outfits and egg hunts.... as long as we remember the real reason to celebrate Easter. He is risen. He broke the bands of death and made it possible for us all to return to our Father in Heaven. I am so grateful for the Savior and for our Father's Plan of Happiness. Next year I hope it won't take 3 talks in our family for me to remember this.

No comments: