Monday, April 27, 2009

Roman's Pirate Birthday Party




So I had this great idea that since we had a new house with a back yard, we could have birthday parties here. Instead of a part with play equipment, or Chuck E Cheeses. Then I talked Roman into a pirate party, how fun.... My head is still reeling from the excitement!!!

I tried to keep the invites down to a minimum.... only Roman's friends, no more inviting people just because they are my friends. This now includes friends from preschool, church, and our play group that Roman has been in since birth! I think I invited roughly 30 families (I didn't think most would want to just drop off their kids quite yet). Fortunately only half could come, phew, that still turned into 18 kids!!! Plus wonderful mommies and daddies who stayed. Ben got a little clausterphobic at first, but we actually all fit!

The little pirates started by making hats, eye patches and necklaces. The hats turned out really cute. I bought black foam visors and had them wear them upside down so that they stuck up like pirate hats. Then the decorated them with foam stickers and sequins and feathers. They all were adorable. Our lawn is now officially "bedazzled" as one dad put it. The sequins ended up everywhere!

Then we played the one and only inside game. Pass the package. My sister, Dana, found a few pirate songs, then the kids sat in a circle and passed the package while the music played. Once the music stopped, who ever had the package got to unwrap it.... Only there were multiple layers of wrapping, so the game continued. Inside the final box were chocolate coins for everyone.

Then it was time for the food. We had Sharks Blood Lemonade (Lemonade with Hawaiian Punch ice cubes), Bildge Water, Pirate P.B. and J. sandwiches ( I stuck little black flags on with toothpicks), Walk the Plank Celery, P.B. Canon balls ( a huge hit!), GOLD fish, Pretzel Swords, an Shark Sticks (fish sticks that I totally forgot to get in the oven until we were serving the food!!!). That was my favorite part, the food was a lot of fun to put together.

After the food we went on a treasure hunt. I made up some super cheesy clues that lead them around the back yard, and finally to a treasure chest. I made a treasure chest pinata out of a box. A word of advice.... don't use a mailing quality box.... someone recommended a cereal twin pack box, like from Costco... after the fact. It turned out pretty cute. I used the box, then bent a single piece of cardboard over the top, and covered it in brown paper. I drew on the line for the lid, and decorated it with electrical tape and sequins. I filled it with ring pops and other booty :)

Every kids got a whack at it, and Dana, and myself. Finally I had to rip it open and pour the contents out. The kids don't really care too much, but I hate pinatas that don't break!! (I had like scored the sides and corners, trying to weaken it, but that wasn't enough.)

Then it was presents, good byes and naps. It was a fun day.... I just don't know if I can keep this up!! Isaac wants a Rocket birthday, from Little Einsteins... don't even know where to start with that one! Chuck E Cheese is sounding pretty good about now!!!

3 comments:

Lewko Family Blog said...

So cute! Reading this I totally remembered being a little kid and saying to my mom, "we always have my birthday at a park or somewhere else. Can't we have it at home?" I even called it a "home birthday." Now I totally understand what she was thinking!

Lewko Family Blog said...

Oh, I forgot to say how much I like the pirate hats and all the food names. So clever!

Audra said...

Looks like a great time. Happy Birthday Roman!!! You are brave to have it at your house... we do all of ours at the Y.