Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cubic Luau 2009

Every year Ben's work has a huge picnic at Mission Bay. I seriously look forward to it every year. Last year they didn't have it because they had just laid off 20% of their employees and didn't think it was appropriate to celebrate. (I just thought they were being cheap and was mad. I see their point now.)

This year was a luau theme... with a special appearance by Cap'n Jack Sparrow... not sure about the connection between the two, but whatever. When I told the boys that Cap'n Jack Sparrow was going to be there, they decided to wear their Pirate ship shirts, so cute.

We checked in at the tiki huts in front, and who was there to help, but Jack Sparrow. I was so excited and thought the boys would be too. First of all, they didn't really know who they were looking for. They only know Jack Sparrow thanks to some Pirates of the Caribbean underwear. They have never seen the movies (of course!) and have little idea of what a "real" pirate should look like. So when they saw a dirty grown man with dread locks... they were scared :P I thought he was pretty cool though. Of course the real Jack Sparrow would have been better, but I guess Johnny was busy this weekend.

The first activity was a giant Tsunami Wave slide. Roman went with Ben a few times while Isaac watched and tried to work up the courage. Finally Isaac had a go at it, and then we couldn't get them off! Wait, I take that back, once we offered sno cones, they were happy to get off and get their sugar drenched ice.

Then (yes, after the first round of sugar), it was time for lunch. They each scarfed down a hot dog and then played on the playground we had parked ourselves next too. As soon as Ben had cleaned his own plate, it was back to the slide and jumpy houses.

Aaron and I stayed behind to play with a friend just a few months older... but much more mobile! Maybe hanging around with some friends who are walking will make him want to try it out. (I still can't decide if I should be encouraging him to walk, or enjoying that he isn't fully mobile yet.)

When daddy came back, the boys decided that it would be fun to try the big water trikes. As I was packing up our stuff, Ben took the boys and Aaron crawled (scooted) across the lawn trying to follow them. It was adorable.

After waiting for a good half hour, very patiently, it was their turn. They scooted around the bay for about 7 minutes and posed for a few pics for mommy and then came back in. They said they had a good time though... I imagine that less than 10 minutes is probably perfect for the attention spans that Ben was dealing with.

4 hours after getting there, and zero sun screen applications later, it was time to head home. I'm already looking forward to next year, when the baby will be more mibile and we can join in on all the fun!!

3 comments:

AJ & Laurie said...

Looks like fun! I sure do miss the beach! I can't believe how big Roman looks with his spiked hair. Let me know when you talk to Mrs Tebbetts

Audra said...

Looks like a great way to end the summer, but you should know to put that sunscreen on silly.

Liz said...

I think I saw these somewhere already. Facebook? I loved the picture of Isaac looking terrified while coming down that slide . . . even though he was having fun! :0) Those water bikes look like a blast!