After a year of preschool, I knew Roman would enjoy Kindergarten and that he was ready for it. Whether I was or not! But then, as we went back to school shopping and started talking about it, I got excited as well!
Today was the day. Roman could hardly sleep last night, and was up around 645, where as he was sleeping until 715 or later during the summer. ( I actually thought he would wake up way before that, so I'll take 645). He came out of his room in the outfit that we had laid out the night before, shoes and all. Grabbed his lunch box out of the fridge, put it in his back pack, and proceeded to wear the back pack around the house.
I really think that I was just as nervous as Roman was! There were kids and parents every where! Some old timers who ruled the school, and some newbys trying to look like we knew where we were going!
Roman's teacher is Mrs Tebbetts, who comes with rave reviews from another friend whose oldest daughter had her three years ago. We have heard only good things about all the Kindergarten teachers, but it was an extra good feeling to have a teacher that came recommended.
Mrs. Tebbetts took role and read a story to the kids. Roman raised his hand extra high when she called his name. Some of the kids just looked around when their names were called, and others did nothing :) When Mrs. Tebbetts asked the kids if they
Mrs. T then sent the kids outside to play so that she could talk to the parents. ***Yes, there was a recess teacher out there, Ben was very concerned when I said the kids were sent out side to play so that the teacher could talk to the parents. He's such a good concerned daddy!*** It wasn't the most informative session, but I am excited to have Roman in Mrs. T's class.
The parents were then instructed to go outside and say good bye to the kids on the playground. I went out and found Roman and talked to him a bit. He wasn't really playing with anyone, he was wandering around the outskirts of the playground while the other 100 Kindergartners acted like wild animals (as they should).
I took a few pictures and then hugged him good bye and told him to have fun. He tried to sit on the dirt hill behind the playground, and I told him to get up and make friends! So he got up and went back over to the swings, and I left.
I had to drop off some paper work at the office and then headed back to pick up the other two. As I walked past the playground again, I stopped to look for Roman. I couldn't find my little spikey haired boy in the rock star red shirt anywhere. Then I saw Mrs. T walk across the palyground, and who was that on her heels? Little Roman. He takes a while to warm up to new situations, so I am not surprised. And I know he will make friends when he is ready to. ( In fact, he was building with two other boys and made friends with a blonde haired boy, he didn't remember his name)
Here I am, chastizing Roman for not making new friends right away... I am so bad at making friends. At his preschool I never stayed and chatted with the other moms. But now we are going to be at this school for the next 8 years or so, in theory. It is time to get to know the other moms and branch out a little. I did meet a nice little blonde haired lady, can't remember her name though...
.jpg)
3 comments:
So glad that Roman had such a great day. I swear the Delilah made it through 90% of the year without knowing half the kids names, she just called them best friends. You will also meet tons of parents this year just standing outside waiting for Roman to get out of school, it will be easy I promise, then you will have tons of "school mom" friends to have playdates with or just help by picking up your kid when your in a jam. I hope Roman has a great year at school:)
Glad to hear it went well, I LOVE the pictures and I LOVE your storys-they always are so entertaining and make me laugh even if it is about normal everyday stuff...I love how you both met blonde haired people (you the mom and Roman the kid) and both didn't remember their names---thought it was cute like mother like son :0)
Hehehe, I like Lisa's comment about the blondes, because I noticed the same thing. It's nice to hear that parents are just as nervous as the teachers are. Although, it sounds like Roman's teacher is a little more experienced than I am, so she probably wasn't as nervous as the three of us (you, me, and Roman) were. Oh, I can't believe Roman is all big and school age now.
Post a Comment